Thursday, January 8, 2015

Baby Announcement: Class of 2033


Not my baby!

Just baby announcements.

My achilles heel is stopping short. I can have a solid concept but I have a tendency to say, Good enough! long before it really is great. So I decided to submit to Minted.com's baby announcement challenge to see if "social design" would push me past my natural stopping point.

Step-by-step as follows...



sketches


drawing



inking

color palette


first submission

So... this is the point where I would stick a fork in it! :)
But I got lots of great feedback from the Minted community. Obviously, I'm a little enamored by my hand-lettering and was jumping at the chance to do this vintage collegiate thing but considering that the point of a baby announcement is to feature the baby... I gradually toned down the graphic elements.



revision 2


revision 3


revision 4



I must admit, I LOVED doing the challenge! It was incredibly helpful to get input but it was also a great feeling being part of a community working on something together, so to speak. It was equally fulfilling providing constructive feedback to other. So yeah... I'm Minted! :)

There are so many amazing designs so who knows if I'll place but regardless, I think the process really helped my end product. Voting begins on Jan. 12, I think.




No comments:

Post a Comment