Tuesday, December 16, 2014

This is the part where I suck.


Have you ever listened Ira Glass’ thing on storytelling?

BTW, I love Ira Glass. I just saw his show, One Radio Show and Two Dancers last month at Wash U. Totally see it if you get the chance. Love the segment where he talks about passion... and that if you are lucky enough to do what you love for a living you get to do it day after day, over and over again until... you beat the life out of it. Or something like that. I may be totally misquoting him.

I digress.

In this video, he talks about how creative people get into creative work because they have good taste. But, when you start making stuff yourself (because you have good taste), what you are able to make really isn’t that good. Your taste is killer and that’s why you think your work sucks because it falls short of what you think it should be. So Ira says, a lot of people never get past this phase because they quit, thinking, I’m never gonna be any good at this. :)

So yeah, that’s happening.

But lucky for me, Ira reminds everyone that this is totally normal and the key is ... volume.
It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions.
I think he might also say that it takes a couple of years to bridge the gap so ... you know, don’t look... until 2017, k?

1 comment: