Monday, February 23, 2015

Chapter 6: Recovering a Sense of Abundance

This week you tackle a major creative block—money. You are asked to really look at your own ideas around God, money, and creative abundance. Th essays will explore the ways in which your attitudes limit abundance and luxury in your current life. You will be introduced to counting, a block-busting tool for clarity and right use of funds. This week may feel volatile.

There you have it. Week 6 is rich!!!! ;P

Our morning pages assignment is to write about the God we believe in.

Who is the God I believe in?
I believe that God actually does listen. And that's what freaks me out. I feel like God answers prayers and it's my own limited perspective and/or limitations or brokenness or whatever that messes me up. God gives me what I ask for sometimes... that's the problem... I get enough rope to hang myself! :) ... which is why I am so gun shy on wishing. Be careful what you wish for, and all that.

Of course, there are times when I've prayed so earnestly for something and have NOT gotten what I've wanted. In those times, I wonder if that's because God knows better (see above). So my issues around God are not exactly the ones Julia talks about in Chapter 6 re: God's will and ours being at opposite ends of the table.

What kind of God would I like to believe in?
The kind that has my back, that isn't just going to let me all crazy in the candy store. You know, Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans that I have for you...." one that reassures me all I need to do is keep showing up in the world as myself, staying true to my values and that somehow, the lights will stay on, I can put food on the table, straighten my kids teeth and buy them both ponies! Just kidding about the ponies.

I want a God on my side. I wonder what what choices I would make if I believed this, for reals.

Tasks
1. Counting: Write down every. single. penny you spend. See how long you can do this... maybe for the next month. Notice the patterns and what this reveals about you to yourself. What do you value in terms of your spending? How does that align with your values. Remember your boundaries... what's inside and outside of your circles? Are you surprised that you spend money on things that you don't cherish? And deny yourself things that are important to you?

2. Luxury: What feels luxurious to you? A bath, a piece of chocolate, clean sheets, listening to music? I listened to an interview with one of the richest men on the planet who, not surprisingly, lived very simply. He said something along the lines of the things he enjoyed most of all were free: reading a book, listening to music, engaging in interesting conversations.

Along these lines, one of Julia's tasks for us is to receive some natural abundance: find an interesting rock, one each day. It's winter so flowers won't be easy to find in most of North America right now but maybe seed pods or acorns. Send cards to five friends you'd love to hear from—yes, with a stamp.

We cling to our financial concerns as a way to avoid not only our art but also our spiritual growth. Our faith is in the dollar.
~Julia Cameron

p.s. A scan from my sketchbook. I little preview of things to come...




No comments:

Post a Comment